Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Verses and inscriptions for gravestones, funeral announcements, services, and thank you notes

Always remembered
Cherished memories of
Happy memories of
In affectionate memory of
In ever loving memory of
In loving memory of
Loving memories of
Precious memories of
Sacred to the memory of
Treasured Memories of

You might feel that a classical rhyme expresses perfectly your feelings.

Cease your weeping and your sorrow
Do not think of them as dead
They have reached their home in heaven
Cares and pains forever fled.

'tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

God sees when footsteps falter
When the pathway has grown too steep
So he touches the dropping eyelids
And gives the loved one sleep.
If tears could build a stairway
And memories a lane
We'd walk right up to heaven
And bring you home gain.

In the arms of the angels is where
Our daughter (son, mother etc) lays, a
Beautiful person in thousands of ways.

In the garden of happy memories
It is always summer.

Love's last gift
Remembrance.

My favourite place in all the world,
Let me think where that could be ...
.. Well any place you care to name
As long as you're with me.

Not 'til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll his canvas
And explain the reason why
For the dark threads are as needed
In the pattern he has planned
As the threads of gold and silver
In his almighty hand.
(Anon/unknown/B M Franklin)

Pause my family as you walk by
Where you are now, so was I
Where I am now, you will be
Prepare my family
To follow me.

Softly the leaves of memory fall
Gently, I gather and treasure them all.

Sunshine passes, shadows fall
Love and memory outlast them all.

This is not goodbye, just time to
rest your head. The moon will be your
Pillow, the stars above your bed. Sweet dreams
Forever, and do not fear, you will be
Remembered for precious times shared here.


What seems to us a sunset
Is sunrise in another land.

You shared my dreams for the future
You shared my past
You were my first love
You are my last.

You could use the words at the end of a well known rhyme to help write your own verse. You might like to use the person's name if it has a meaning (for example, Pearl was a pearl), or if it rhymes with another suitable word.

You can find more in the literature from funeral directors and printers and books of quotations, and the announcements in local and national newspapers.

On a lighter note, the Victorian humorous inscription which always runs through my head is:
He was right, dead right, as he sped along
But he's just as dead as if he were wrong.

My other favourite is:
Old Martha Snell has gone away
She would if she could but she couldn't stay
She had two sore legs and a baddish cough
But it was her legs that carried her off.

Cemeteries nowadays tend to censor anything which sounds irreverent, but when printing your own notices you can choose whatever you like, if you think it will relieve the gloom and make people feel happier.

Let us end on a cheerful note: Comedian Spike Milligan's gravestone inscription which he chose for himself  was not allowed by the authorities - so the family inscribed it in Gaelic:

I told you I was ill.

Post written by
Angela Lansbury BA Hons, author of: Quick Quotations; Who Said What When.

No comments: