Thursday, April 23, 2015

Funeral Photos & Speech Videos

One of my regrets is not getting still photos of the people who attended the funeral and lunch reception for 'aunty'.

After my uncle's funeral, I was the executor in charge and I gathered the mourners into a group and took a photograph because two of them were members of his professional union who I did not know and I wanted a record of them as they were going back to work and not attending the tea afterwards.

However, at Aunty's, I was busy photographing the flower display, saying goodbye to a larger number of well-wishers, and organising cars (as well as arranging to stop at an en route supermarket for extra nibbles - nuts, and decaff coffee).

It seemed an interruption to take photos at the service and after it was over the mourners were ushered out to form a reception line. At the exit door I was in the line, kissing and shaking hands and hugging and nodding and thanking, and not able to take photos.

I managed to pass my phone to the person next to me before I went to the lectern to make the speech. I wanted a video record of the speech. But had no time to ask anybody to take still photo of myself giving the speech.

Our family's best photographer was a chief mourner, son of the deceased, and not inclined to take photos.

At the reception I was busy running around speaking, listening, moving chairs, providing tea. We had not thought it worthwhile to pay for anybody to do the catering. But in the event being busy with the catering was a full time job with me acting as hostess and I was too busy to think of photos.

The moral is, if you want a photo of the occasion, ask the funeral director if somebody can discreetly take a photo of those giving speeches, and of the family in the front row, the casket, the flower display. And ask the caterers or somebody else in advance to take photos of the visiting family who you might not see again. Your nearest and dearest might be dressed up in suits when you normally have your scruffy kids in crumpled tee-shirts.  It's your one chance to show your family looking well dressed, co-operating with each other and paying respects to your beloved relative.

I know that relatives overseas who were unable to attend would have been interested in both videos and still photos. Even friends from Toastmasters International have asked to see the video of my funeral speech.

Relatives who were about to take holiday to celebrate a birthday had to cancel their trip in order to come to the funeral. Sometimes it is good to get away and taken photos of yourself in new surroundings. On a happier note, you might like to read some of the travel posts on my travel blog.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer, author, speaker.
More by and about Angela Lansbury, including speeches, on Angela Lansbury author blogs, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn.

No comments: