Sunday, April 26, 2015

Souvenir Hair: from the dead, the living parent/widow, and yourself

My regret is that I did not cut a big lock of white hair from my mother-in-law while she was still alive and healthy. I don't really like the idea of hair taken from a dead body, maybe carrying cancer or sweat or decay.

I asked the undertakers for a hair from 'aunty'. I was disappointed to receive a tiny piece of hair, just a few strands in a tiny plastic bag inside an envelope.

I was hoping for a piece the size of a ponytail. Aunty had flowing white hair.

I have kept hair from my father, uncle and 'aunty'. I was able to get hair from the undertakers for my uncle and aunty.

I didn't see my father's dead body. I wonder whether I cut off my father's hair while he was alive without him noticing.  If you have a pair of nail scissors, you can snip off a tiny amount of hair.

Why save hair?
a) Sentimental reasons - the Victorians used to save locks of hair in lockets and rings.

b) Part of the same reason - collecting and saving everything you can of the body and life of your loved one or ancestor, because it is part of them and part of your history. The same feeling makes us want to bury a body and mark a grave, keep a photo and hold a memorial service, even if we don't believe in a resurrection.

c) For forensics - evidence in case of any later case, brought by us or others, suggesting that a doctor, care home, hospital, even the food or water supply, could have poisoned or damaged or weakened the health of the elderly or (or both staff and patients) or all citizens.

d) For health research - if we later discover or want to research anything from viruses to flu to diet, to see what affected the person. It could be in our lifetime to benefit us and our children. Or centuries later to solve mysteries and help historians. Did the Romans die of lead pipes damaging their water supply? Was Napoleon poisoned or did he die of fumes from the buildings paint? Was your ancestor really a victim or can you prove you are a descendant and stand to inherit?

e) To involve your descendants (grandchildren) in your affection for the ancestors not met (your parents, uncles and aunts, grandparents, in-laws).

f) To prove that granny really was a redhead, or that family members resemble each other.

g) To show you are not being sentimental, but the hair really was white, silver, ginger, blonde, brown black.

h) To show grandchildren that they are like their now deceased grandparents.

i) It would be good to have locks of your parents or your own hair at different ages, to show your hair in your youth and middle age and old age. Even to show a hairdresser.

If you are interested in my posts, please follow or forward or read my other blogs.

No comments: